Thursday, March 14, 2013

Little E's 1st Birthday Party Recap, part 1

SomeBunny turned 1 back in January and we had a sweet bunny-themed party for our Little E.

Here are a few behind-the-scene photos of the decorating tips and tricks I used to make this birthday fun.

Invitations: As with most of the parties I throw for the girls, I made the invitations with some help from the internet. I found this great bunny stationery and was able to import it into Photoshop to make just a few minor adjustments. I added my own text to the invitation and simplified the front of the envelope. This was the first time I made envelopes and I was worried about how they would hold up in the mail, but all of the recipients said they arrived unscathed so that was great. I printed the envelopes double sided with a pink gingham print for the inside and the invitations had a brown gingham print on the backside. I love how they turned out and will definitely do this again for future invitations.
Front of the envelope. I used a silver Sharpie to write the addresses.

Inside of the envelope. I used a glue stick for the sides.

The invitation. The back was double sided with brown gingham.

Back of the envelope. I used double sided tape for the flap.

Decorations: I reused the birthday banner from K's Alice in Wonderland 4th birthday party. It has a white rabbit on the last flag of HAPPY so it was appropriate for the theme. I also had pink polka-dot balloons for the girls to play with at the party.

Table decorations: I ended up using plastic tablecloths for this party since I wanted pink and we don't have pink cloth ones. The pink plastic ones I found were too bright though so I also used plastic white lace tablecloths over the top of the pink ones to subdue the color and make it look a bit softer. Considering they were plastic I think they looked pretty good. For "centerpieces" I used two stuffed bunny toys per table. K has *lots* of stuffed bunnies so it wasn't hard to find the 6 that I needed.

The main part of the centerpiece were these edible bunny pops. I found the idea on Positively Splendid and love how they turned out. The large zig zag pot is a steal at $1.99 from The Container Store and I love how it looks like an over-sized cupcake liner. I stuffed a green floral ball inside and covered the top with Spanish Moss to make it look like the bunnies are frolicking in the summer lawn.

The great part about these bunny pops is they are made out of readily available store-bought items. The pop itself is a mini powdered sugar doughnut, the ears are flat marshmallows, the tail is a mini marshmallow and the nose is a pink jellybean. It's all held together with melted white chocolate "glue". However, a word of caution if you make these. While they are super easy to make, we found out the hard way that we should have inserted the ears BEFORE "gluing" on the nose and tail. We had to re-attach 90% of the noses & tails because pushing the toothpicks in after they were attached caused most of them to fall off.
The funniest part about these little cuties is that no one realized they
were supposed to eat them and we ended up with 20+ pops left over.

Party favors: As with all of the parties I host, I had been collecting bunny-themed toys for years before the actual party. Yes, that means I had been collecting party supplies for the birthday of child that hadn't even been born yet. I know, it's a sickness. Each girl received a stuffed dutch rabbit that bears a striking resemblance to a super cute real bunny I know (woot Sid!), a pair of bunny ears, a set of pink pom poms and the super cute pink bunny party favor bag from Mr. Printables was filled with Annie's Homegrown Bunny Grahams Friends and Bunny Fruit Snacks.

The rest of the party favors included a bunny mask craft, bunny socks, a bunny shaped straw and note pad, and some happy mushroom erasers.

We served sandwiches, fruit, vegetables, macaroni and cheese, and of course, carrot cake for dessert. I also made these milk bottles that were a pretty big hit.

Stay tuned for part 2 to see the rest of the party and the beautiful birthday girl herself :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay, super-duper-party-planner sis! Your parties are always so cute and amazingly well planned. Can't wait to see you guys for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job J! Can't wait to see the next blog.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete