Monday, August 5, 2013

Shower Like You Mean It

As I was standing in the shower this evening, it occured to me that my showering routine has changed significantly over the years, but specifically after having kids. I've never been one to stand under the running water for an extended period of time. Call it an aversion to being wet or probably just my inner hippie thinking about all that wasted water just pouring down the drain, but over time I've developed a quick, chock-full shower routine that works for me. And hey, maybe it can work for you too.

First off, I shower at night. Now that right there might be off-putting to some (many?) people. I used to shower in the morning but two things changed this: K & E. My girls LOVE to play in any form of water they can get into to. Whenever I'd start the water my girls would come running into the bathroom, K already stripping her clothes off in order to get in the shower with me. Now don't get me wrong, the first few times this happened I thought it was adorable. I love my girls to pieces but sometimes I just want those 10 minutes to myself. Holding a slippery baby in your arms while to trying to shave just isn't going to happen. So now I shower at night when they're both in bed. This also ensures that I DO actually shower because E doesn't always sleep through the night and between getting up with her (several times a night lately since she's sick) and sometimes going to bed too late, I'm tired in the morning and I don't want to get up before the kids to shower because that would mean I'd be up at like 5:30 and I'm not a morning person. Also, I kind of feel refreshed and I like feeling like I'm going to bed clean. I've cleaned off the "grime" of the day and I'm starting fresh for a new day.

Ok, now if you're still with me, on to my showering routine. I combine a few nightly tasks during my shower to A) conserve water, and B) conserve time.

Step 1. Turn on the water, grab my toothbrush and toothpaste, and brush my teeth in the shower while waiting for the water to reach it's peak temperature. Since the water has to run anyway to get warm, I'd rather brush my teeth in there and actually use that water instead of just letting it go down the drain and then also using the water in the sink to brush. Besides, while spitting is one of my highest pet peeves, spitting while standing up in the shower is kind of cool. I know it sounds weird but just try it some time. You might giggle. I also get myself wet during this step.

Step 2. Wash and rinse your hair.

Step 3. Now that you don't have to worry about soap getting in your eyes, wash your face. I keep my facial cleanser in the shower to again, save water and time. I don't wear makeup on a daily, who am I kidding, monthly basis so I don't use a makeup remover or anything. Two squirts of Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and I'm a happy girl.

Step 4. Apply conditioner.

Step 5. While the conditioner is making your hair soft and magical, soap up your body. This is also when I shave (also once a month. Ok, I'm kidding, kind of.)

Step 6. Rinse your body and hair at the same time and your done.

Seriously, it takes like 10 - 15 minutes and I'm done with the majority of my nightly routine. When I get out of the shower I put on a facial lotion, then a body lotion, run a wide-tooth comb through my hair to get any loose hairs out, wash the lotion off my hands, apply a spray-on gel, scrunch my hair with a towel (that way my hands don't get all sticky) and I'm off to bed.

I realize as with all personal hygiene choices, it's very, well, personal. However, I hope maybe by reading what I do, you might think of ways you can conserve water and help streamline your routine to give yourself a few extra minutes each day to do something for yourself. Because we all know that women in particular do so much for others that we rarely take the time to do something for ourselves.

Happy showering and good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment