Monday, January 14, 2013

Pac NW Vacation - Day 2

Our second day of exploring the beautiful Pacific Northwest took place in downtown Portland. We had lunch at Jake's Grill (their clam chowder is delicious) and then headed to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science & Industry.) It's a neat place but there was really only one area that was geared toward kids K's age and it was really crowded. She seemed to thoroughly enjoy it though.

Little E with Bestie K at OMSI.

K at OMSI

E spent most of her time at OMSI observing everything in her Boba 2G Baby Carrier.

K is a budding geologist, just like Papa. (In fact, last night at dinner she put the two halves of her grape tomato back together and told us it was a geode and it was filled with sparkles.)

After OMSI we perused Powell's Bookstore - an independently owned bookstore that " fills a whole city block with more than a million new, used, and out of print books" and then headed to Voodoo Doughnuts. I've heard about this place not only from our besties but also from other blogs and I knew it was place I had to try. It gets real when it comes to doughnuts. I *LOVE* them. There was a fairly long line that wrapped around outside but it moved quickly. The ordering process reminded me a bit of a certain soup vendor from the Seinfeld show...

There are a ton of doughnuts to chose from and most of them are kinds you would never get from your run of the mill shop. Plus they come in a pretty pink box and as it plainly states, "Good things come in pink boxes." :)

Unfortunately I don't remember the names of any of our doughnuts but I can tell you the two I had were NOMS! The top left one that looks like it has fake poop on it was mine. It was a chocolate doughnut with pink marshmallow covered in coconut and then topped with peanut butter. I also had one of the chocolate iced ones with the two dots on it. I think it was called a Portland (?) and it's a lot like a Boston Cream Filled. A had the two topped with cereal. I can't remember who had the voodoo doll one. The blue one with sprinkles was for K but she didn't care for it so I think I ate that one too. Poor me... ;)

That night we went to a drive through Christmas light display. It was at a race track and it had tons of the large light displays. The most impressive ones were those that spanned the track...
(I like how you can see Bestie K in the side mirror)
They also did each of the 12 Days of Christmas and those were very neat as well.


"Keep Portland Weird" people!

2 comments:

  1. I love that K turned a grape into a geode, hillarious! Also I really want to go to that bookstore BAD; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, so I remember what mine were called:

    1) Crunch Berry
    2) Triple (Chocolate) Penetration

    Of course that would be the name of the one I picked (I found out later), since I JUST got done thinking of how stupidly juvenile it is to apply that name to a doughnut. It was super yummy, though!

    - A

    ReplyDelete