Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Introducing Fergie and Ferdie

Hi and welcome back. I'm sorry that it's been a little while since my last post. We're planning a really cool vacation and I've been working on getting that set up almost every night so my little blog here gets pushed to the back burner.

Anywho, I made a few new stuffy friends as gifts for some very special birthday kiddos this month and I made a tutorial based off of the one from Darling Petunia in case you'd like to make some cute little Hedgehogs for the sweet kiddos in your life.
Ferguson and Ferdinand (Fergie and Ferdie)

Start with a microfiber car washing mitt. I got mine from the dollar section at Target but I think I've also seen them at a dollar store.


Cut off the cuff and the thumb. It's best if you leave a bit of fabric between where you cut off the cuff and the thumb. You'll be using the thumb hole to stuff your Hedgie and will hand-sew the hole closed so it's easiest if you have that bit of fabric there.


Hand stitch on eyes. I used small black ball buttons and embroidery thread.


Turn the mitt inside out and trim the opening into the snout of your Hedgie. Machine or hand stitch the snout closed.


Turn your Hedgehog back right side out and stuff him full of fluff in the open thumb hole.


 Hand stitch the opening closed. I used a ladder stitch. It's a great almost-invisible stitch that's not hard to learn. Here is a link to the YouTube video I used to learn the ladder stitch.


Attach a pom pom nose. I made the pom pom from black yarn and I used black embroidery thread to attach it. Making your own pom poms is really easy and fun. Here is a link to the blog site, Made, where I learned to make them.


And there you have it - a cute little Hedgehog friend to hug and cuddle and throw around. Or maybe dust the floors or wash the car...

1 comment: